Outdoor Adventure Program
Climbing and Bouldering
Great News! The OAP Climbing Wall is allowing participants to belay one another again.
- In order to belay, you must pass a belay test administered by an OAP staff member.
- Participants may ask to take the belay test at the climbing wall desk.
- Belay approvals last for one year.
- If you do not pass the test the first time, you are welcome to come back and take it again (after a 24 hour wait time).
- If you are new to belaying, OAP offers belay clinics on weeknights. Register using the link above.
- With the return of belaying, we will also move back to having all participants tie into the ropes at the climbing wall using a figure-8 follow through.
- If you are not comfortable tying this knot, OAP staff will teach you how to tie it!
- You are welcome to bring your own belay device, or you can borrow a friction plate (ATC) device from the OAP free of charge during your visit to the Wall.
Roped Climbing Hours
- Monday - Thursday, 12:00 - 10:00 p.m.
- Friday 12:00 - 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday CLOSED
- Sunday 4:00 - 8:00 p.m.
The Cary Street Gym Climbing area features a 35-foot climbing wall with six top rope and one lead climbing routes. This area also features one freestanding and 18-foot bouldering section.
- There is no additional cost to members or guests to use the climbing area.
- The Climbing Wall is a chalk free area. However, liquid chalk is allowed.all bouldering is drop-in any time the building is open, and roped climbing drop-in is available during posted hours.
- Climbing harnesses & shoes are available for free rental
- Lead climbing is only available during climbing clinics, which must be registered for in advance.
- Patrons can register for climbing clinics online. Use the link above to register.
Fall 2021 Clinics
Register up to the time of the clinic. All clinics will be held at Cary Street Gym Climbing Wall
Want to become more independent in rock climbing? Learning to belay allows you to climb with a partner, and is a fundamental skill for all rock climbers. OAP staff will teach current best practices for belaying, and answer any and all questions about climbing in the Cary St. Gym.
|Sport Climbing Clinic||September 16||Thursday||7:00 -9:00 p.m.|
|Climbing Technique Clinic||September 20||Monday||7:00-8:00 p.m.|
|Gym to Crag Clinic||September 30||Thursday||5:00-7:00 p.m.|
|Sport Climbing Clinic||October 4||Monday||1:00-3:00 p.m.|
|Climbing Technique Clinic||October 12||Tuesday||1:00-2:00 p.m.|
|Sport Climbing Clinic||October 21||Thursday||4:00-6:00 p.m.|
|Gym to Crag Clinic||October 25||Monday||2:00-4:00 p.m.|
|Climbing Technique Clinic||November 4||Thursday||7:00-8:00 p.m.|
|Sport Climbing Clinic||November 9||Tuesday||7:00-9:00 p.m.|
|Gym to Crag Clinic||November 18||Thursday||7:00-9:00 p.m.|
|Sport Climbing Clinic||December 3||Friday||2:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m.|
|Gym to Crag Clinic||December 6||Monday||6:00-8:00 p.m.|
No Man's Land Film Festival
November 3, 2021, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
Cary Street Gym MAC
No Man's Land Film Festival travels year-round and worldwide to share with you our current selection of best-loved films from the festival archives and brand new films featuring the most driven and inspired women adventurers. This event will feature a collection of short adventure films and a panel of women who are movers and shakers in the outdoor world. Admission is free!