VCU RecSports offer various aquatic certifications for our students, members, and non-members at an affordable rate. If online registration does not work, please visit the Cary Street Gym to register Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. or Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
Learn skills and knowledge to prevent aquatic emergencies, increase your critical thinking and improve decision-making.
Summer 2018 Dates:
June 25-29 (Mon - Fri: 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.)
- Student: $100
- Member: $175
- Non-Member: $225
Location: Cary Street Gym Aquatic Center
American Red Cross Lifeguard Re-Certification
American Red Cross Lifeguard Re-Certification class is only open to those with current American Red Cross Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR/AED certifications. This class will re-certify participants in American Red Cross Lifeguarding, CPR, AED, First Aid and Oxygen for two years.
May 18-20, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
Register here on the MyRecSports Portal by May 17 at 12:00 p.m.
- Friday, May 18 (5:00 - 10:00 p.m.)
- Saturday, May 19 (12:00 - 7:00 p.m.)
- Sunday, May 20 (12:00 - 7:00 p.m.)
- Student: $50
- Member: $75
- Non-Member: $125
For more information on the following courses, contact Amanda Simmons at (804) 827-0321 or email@example.com.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor Training
Do you enjoy lifeguarding and want to learn how to teach others to become lifeguards?
Learn how to teach lifeguard training classes, including CPR/AED/First Aid instruction.
This class will develop your understanding of lifeguarding techniques and principles, help you conduct an engaging course, and teach you how to monitor participants' practice and give positive, corrective feedback.
- successfully complete the online session for the instructor before training
- bring your completion certificate to instructor trainer on
- successfully complete the American Red Cross prerequisites for Lifeguard Training on
- swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing
- tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds
- successfully complete rescue skill scenarios based on lifeguarding, first aid and CPR & AED on
- desire to teach
- positive attitude
- purchase American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor's Manual and Lifeguard Training Participant's manual before training on
To successfully complete the course and receive American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification you must complete the above prerequisites, attend the entire course, participate in class, complete lesson plans, complete 4 practice teaches, and successfully complete the written test.
Summer 2018 Course
June 18 - 22, Monday - Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.