Join Our Team
Why Work for Rec Sports
About Rec Sports
Rec Sports is a large and fast paced department, delivering many different types of programs and services. As a department within the Division of Student Affairs, Rec Sports serves all VCU students, as well as faculty, staff, alumni, and members of the local community.
Our members use our facilities to have fun, stay fit, learn new skills, enjoy friendly competition and relieve stress in a clean, healthy environment. We are committed to serving our community with excellence.
Who we are looking for
Our student staff is an important component in helping us fulfill and achieve our Mission, Vision, and Values. In return, Rec Sports provides student employees with valuable work experiences at a fair wage.
We are looking for enthusiastic, hard-working VCU students who enjoy interacting with our members in a positive way. We employ approximately 400 students each year in a variety of positions.
We priority hire and schedule students who are eligible for Federal Work Study.
Develop skills you can use in your future career
As an educational institution, VCU strives to provide experiential learning opportunities for all students. We believe it is important to provide students with employment that supplements formal education by developing career-ready transferable skills.
Rec Sports student employees have the opportunity to advance in their work area, attaining additional levels of responsibility, skill development, and leadership.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities developed through employment at Rec Sports:
- Work collaboratively, as part of a diverse team
- Communicate respectfully and effectively by expressing yourself with clarity
- Utilize critical thinking skills to make effective and timely decisions
- Provide quality service to members and guests by responding quickly and respectfully to questions and concerns
- Set priorities and allocate time efficiently in order to meet deadlines
- Respect for cultural diversity through personal interactions with members, co-workers, and supervisors
- Manage and resolve conflicts
- Effective peer leadership skills
Opportunities for student development include:
- Advanced leadership opportunities
- Certifications - FA/CPR/AED classes are provided for all employees at no cost. Employees are also eligible for discounted specialty certifications classes with approval from the corresponding Assistant Director
- Professional development, such as the opportunity to apply to attend work-related conferences and workshops
- Employee recognition events
- Community service opportunities